Sharp challenges the conventional wisdom and best practices that are applied unquestioningly by many marketers, turning instead to what he describes as more "scientific" research that shows what really matters to brand growth.
- Byron Sharp's Laws of Marketing
- Byron Sharp's 7 Rules of Marketing
- Most brands appeal to the same people rather than niche audiences
- Focus marketing on new or light buyers rather than heavy buyers
- A brand is a constellation of impressions that takes shape over time
- Buyers eliminate most options unconsciously
- Advertising is defensive
Sharp, Byron. How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don’t Know. Illustrated edition. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.