- Double jeopardy law: brands with less market share have fewer buyers who will be less loyal
- Retention double jeopardy law: Brands lose consumers in proportion to their market share
- Pareto’s law: More than half of a brand’s sales come from the top 20% of customers; the rest come from the bottom 80%.
- Law of buyer moderation: Heavy buyers’ consumption will decrease; light and non-buyers may increase purchasing toward the mean.
- Natural monopoly law: Brands with a larger market share have a more light buyers.
- Customer bases seldom vary. Competitors sell to the same customer bases.
- Attitudes reflect behavioural loyalty: Large brands score higher for loyalty because they have more users.
- Usage drives attitude: Buyers of different brands have similar attitudes and similar perceptions of different brands.
- Duplication of purchase law: Brand’s customer base will overlap rival brands’ in proportion to their market share
- Non-linear relationship between availability
- Advertising is defensive
- Focus marketing on new or light buyers rather than heavy buyers
- A brand is a constellation of impressions that takes shape over time
Sharp, Byron. How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don’t Know. Illustrated edition. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.